Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

When Is A Life Fully Satisfied?

When I was in college, each semester it was compulsory to take one humanities course for credits. These humanities courses introduced students to the major questions of life by studying issues of social, moral and aesthetic value. And they covered the fields of history, philosophy, literature, and the arts, as well as related studies in the physical, technical and social sciences. Some of them were very interesting, some were mind-numbing, and some were downright weird.

I took four of these courses during my studies, but I only remember one that was titled “Death, Death, Death”, which – you guessed it – was all about death and dying. The reason I remember this class so well is because our teacher touched upon a topic at one point that I still wonder about today. He told us in one class that a baby who died at three months of age had lived as full a life as someone who died at 100.


Needless to say the uproar that ensued in the classroom as the students tried to digest the ‘irrationality’ of this.

“How can you compare the two?” We asked. “An infant cannot possibly live as full a life as an old man.”

“Yes, he can.” Our teacher insisted. “In three months, that baby has experienced as full a life as the old man has at 100.”


For the longest time, I completely rejected my teacher’s view on this, and it took me years to finally ‘hear’ what he was saying, which is that at three months of life, a human being has experienced all that can be experienced in those three months. That in three months, the human experience and potential has been reached, or rather, achieved. And that even though it’s a short life, it’s fully satisfied, fulfilled.



So, I fully grasped his point of view, ultimately, and although I could see the rationality behind it, I could not accept it. How can I when I’ve lived way beyond the age of three months, completely and utterly aware of so many more things – many of them wonderful - that can be experienced as the months and years go by?



This unusual course and the teacher who taught it came to mind when I ran across graves of children on my photoshoot at the Cataraqui cemetery not too long ago. No matter what argument my teacher used to explain his logic about death being equal for all no matter the age, all I could feel is despair as I stood over the graves of these children, most of them infants and toddlers.



Children who would never ride a bike. Or go to school. Or be in a play. Or sing Christmas carols. Or delight in Halloween treats.



Children who would never fly a kite. Or ride the roller coaster. Or eat cotton candy. Or learn to play an instrument. Or have a best friend. Or enjoy an ice cream cone.



Children who would never grow up. And have birthday parties. And go to their prom. And fall in love. And perhaps have children of their own.



Children who would never experience many of the milestones that most of us have already gone through. And take for granted.


I cannot accept that a life is fully lived when it’s cut short. When death is premature. When people who are left behind face the most profound grief that comes with the loss of a child. Which is exactly what the parents of this little boy must have been feeling. And almost certainly still do.



This little boy’s tombstone touched me so deeply because you can clearly see the intense grief of his parents, and how much he was loved.

This is one of the saddest things I've ever run across. It broke my heart.

So my question once again is: "When is a life fully satisfied?"

Surely not at three months of age.

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar